AdSense Mobile Ad

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Holidays in Crete

Have you ever thought about about the oldest greek civilization, the Minoans? Have you ever daydreamed about Knossos palace, Theseus, the Minotaur, the labyrinth, or the escape from Crete of Daedalus and Icarus?

Well, I've done many times and it was time for me to visit Crete. I'm very excited at the idea of returning to Greece and Crete just seems the right choice to spend this week of June. Crete is the 5th largest island of the Mediterranean Sea after Sicily, Sardinia, Cyprus and Corsica. In common imagery, Crete is the homeland of the eldest Greek civilization, the Minoans, some myths of whom got to us through Homer's Odyssey and Greek mythology.

We'll arrive at the Chania (Χανιά) Airport next Saturday in the morning. We'll rent a car and hit the road to Rethymno (Ρέθυμνο), where we'll we have dinner before reaching our destination, Panormos, a small Venetian-style village at 20 km. from Panormos.

Unfortunately, we'll stay in Crete just 7 days, which are probably the required minimum to begin to feel the place and to start to forget Madrid's M{30,40,42,50}. I haven't planned the vacations with full details, yet, but at a very minimum I want to pay a visit to Rethymnon, Heraklion and the Knossos' palace archaeological site. Also, I want to spend one day on a wild beach on the south of the Island. The only things I'll bring from Spain will be a good selection of sun and after-sun creams to protect and quench the thirst of my skin.

There will be no cellular phone, no computer. Every silicon-based device will be banned with the only exception of the GPS.

I'm really looking forward going away from Madrid!

No comments: